If your home is not heating well or your energy costs are up, the problem may not be your HVAC system. The source may be your home. Homes that are not well-insulated or weatherized lose a lot of energy and raise power bills. Making home improvements can save energy costs, and help heating and cooling systems run more efficiently. Here are some steps to take:
- Weatherize your home. Your home should be well-sealed and well-insulated.
- Don’t be afraid to add more insulation. It probably will lower utility bills.
- Insulate your attic and under floors above unheated spaces.
- Weather-strip doors and windows.
- Close chimney flues and seal unused fireplaces.
- Buy double-pane windows when replacing your home’s windows. They add extra protection against the cold and wind.